WhatsApp should extend support for all devices

WhatsApp is an instant messaging app that makes communication easier between smartphone users. It offers a lot of additional features such as video call, voice call and more.

Sadly, on January 1, 2018, as we celebrate New Year some people will be shut out of WhatsApp because the company has announced that it will no longer support some devices, a recent report says.

Smartphones that run Blackberry OS and Blackberry OS 10, and those powered by Windows Phone 8.0.

WhatsApp announced sometimes in 2016 that some of these devices were limiting the way they want the WhatsApp app to look like. And as a matter of fact, these devices do not support most of the recent updates that the company has rolled out in 2017 such as video calls.

But if WhatsApp would announce that it will be dropping support for some devices, it should not be on the first day of the year.

Many people will be willing to reach out to their loved ones via WhatsApp on New Year Day but they will be unable to do so.

However, it will not cost WhatsApp much to support these devices till around February, 2018.

In a blog post, WhatsApp wrote:

‘While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they don’t offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app’s features in the future.

This was a tough decision for us to make, but the right one in order to give people better ways to keep in touch with friends, family, and loved ones using WhatsApp.

If you use one of these affected mobile devices, we recommend upgrading to a newer Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone.’

Just last year, WhatsApp dropped its support for Nokia Symbian S60 phones. It will do the same for Nokia S40 handsets on December 31 2018 and then devices running Android 2.3.7 and older after 1 February, 20.

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.



PDP: APC should stop reeling out promises at New Year

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has advised the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) party not to issue any New Year message to Nigerians since they have not met any of their previous promises to Nigerians.

This was mentioned in a statement signed by Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan, the National Publicity Secretary of PDP, on Friday, December 29, 2017.

The party described the ruling party’s promises as ‘litany of woes’ and explained that Nigerians were tired of the hardship imposed on them by the administration over the past two years, report says.

It said APC has been issuing out messages that are full of hope to Nigerians every New Year without any intention of fulfilling them.

The party also said that what is the purpose of the message when it would be full of lies.

PDP noted that the ruling party had promised massive employments only to leave increasing number of Nigerians jobless or underemployed between 2016 and September 2017.

The statement released by PDP read:

‘Nigerians have become overstretched by litany of woes visited on them in the last two years by the APC government, it would be the height of callousness for the party and its government to spew another round of propaganda and false hope in the name of New Year messages.

What else would they tell Nigerians apart from inventing new lies and propaganda as they have always done, particularly at the turn of each New Year.

Every New Year since 2016, the APC and its Federal Government have been reeling out heaps of promises which they have no intentions to fulfill.

Now, they are warming up to reel out fresh ones in January 2018.

What is the need of a New Year message from APC government when it would be replete with propaganda?

What is the need of their yearly assurances when the only thing we see is an arrogant and incompetent government plunging the nation into economic recession and visiting the citizens with the worst forms of untold hardship.

What seriousness should any Nigerian attach to a government that takes governance for granted, puts off Federal Executive meetings at the slightest whims and blame imaginary invasion of its offices by rats for the inability to meet required statutory functions?

What else should Nigerians expect from a government that promised massive employments, only to render 7.74 million Nigerians jobless between 2016 and September 2017; with combined unemployment and underemployment rate hitting 40.0 per cent as declared by the National Bureau of Statistics?’

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.



WAEC releases timetable for WASSCE for Private Candidates, 2018

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – West African Examination Council (WAEC) has released the timetable for the first series of WASSCE examination for private candidates in 2018.

The exam will start on Monday, January 29, 2018, and end Thursday, February 8, 2018.

The timetable was made available via the examination council’s official Twitter handle @waecnigeria late on Thursday, December 28, 2017.

The council also stated that if there is going to be any adjustment in the released timetable, the board will communicate to the candidates.

The council’s tweet read:

‘ICYMI: Timetable for the WASSCE for Private Candidates, 2018 – First Series @IamKingDemian @ufuthman @InsideMainland @Yahyaisa5 @Itztemitope @CozyToff @nwanchizrel @Gidi_Traffic @naibac_requests @MySchoolGist’

See attached image below:

Registration for the exam has been re-scheduled to close by January 12, 2018. This was earlier fixed for December 29, 2017.

Candidates are expected to pay a registration fee of ₦13,950 and ₦500 as a commission to banks and accredited agents, report says.

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.



Brutalising of innocent citizens by armed forces must end

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – The Nigerian Armed Forces are meant to be protecting the interests of Nigerian citizens, they are not to take the law into their own hands by punishing offenders for any slight misconduct or harass innocent citizens without fear of reprimand.

Recently, there have been several cases where soldiers misuse their power. Another case has been reported again.

On Tuesday, December 26, 2017, two soldiers were caught on camera in Ajah market, Lagos, beating a man who hit one of them with his tricycle, as an anonymous seller at the market disclosed.

Report said the traders in the market were afraid to disclose what really led to the incident out of their fear for the soldiers.

The man was stripped naked and one of the soldiers threatened to cut off his manhood.

On any occasion, is it normal that those that are meant to protect the interests of the citizens become the ones brutalising the citizens at any slight opportunity?

If the man hit the soldier because his tricycle brake was faulty or he drove recklessly, he should be handed over to the right authority for not putting his tricycle in good condition or driving recklessly.

It should not get to the extent of stripping him naked and threatening to cut off his manhood.

It is clear that there is need to provide proper orientation for members of the armed forces, especially the low ranking non-commissioned ones who are always responsible for harassing innocent citizens.

Write to ed@thenewsghost.com.ng about any case of armed forces brutality.

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.



Atiku Media Office kicks against inciteful false statement

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – The media office of former Vice President of Nigeria Atiku Abubakar has reacted to a false statement which it says is intended to pitch the former vice president against Prince Uche Secondus, the national chairman of People’s Democratic Party (PDP), PDP national executive committee (NEC), PDP governors and stakeholders of PDP.

This reaction was expressed in response to a tweet by Mr. Abubakar Sidiq Usman, a Nigerian blogger tweeting with the handle @MrAbuSidiq.

Sidiq’s tweet on Monday, December 18, 2017, read:

Atiku’s desperation may harm our chance of winning 2019 election. – Gov. Wike

Copied as seen.

@MrAbuSidiq attributed the tweet to a source on Facebook, whereas the source did not include any link in the original post that can be used to attribute the statement to Governor Wike.

Atiku Media Office, tweeting with the handle @AtikuOrg, said in a series of tweets that:

‘It has come to the notice of the Atiku Media Office that there is a statement purportedly attributed to His Excellency @atiku Abubakar currently making the rounds on social media.

We wish to state for the records that the purported statement aimed at pitching the Waziri Adamawa against the National Chairman of PDP, Prince Uche Secondus, PDP NEC, PDP Governors and stakeholders of the PDP party is contrived and baseless.

For the avoidance of doubt, Atiku Abubakar enjoys excellent relationship with Prince Uche Secondus, the Party’s NEC and all serving PDP Governors and stakeholders of the party.’

When confronted on Twitter by the media office of the former vice president for distributing false statements, Sidiq responded in a tweet saying:

‘… Again leave it to Wike to deny. The statement was attributed to Wike, not Atiku.’

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.



Atiku is greatest fear of APC, Fani-Kayode says

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – Femi Fani-Kayode, former Minister of Aviation, has said that former Vice President of Nigeria Atiku Abubakar is the greatest fear of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the 2019 election.

According to report, he mentioned this in a tweet on Tuesday, December 26, 2017.

Fani-Kayode also claimed that APC party members were firing shots at the former vice president for this reason.

He specifically stated that a few APC governors were making hate speech because they are deeply hurt by Atiku’s exit from the party since last month.

Fani-Kayode’s tweet read:

‘Judging by the way in which APC governors like Nasir El Rufai and Bello Masari are firing shots at @atiku two things are clear: firstly that his exit from their dying party has hurt them deeply and secondly that their greatest fear is an @atiku bid for the Presidency in 2019.’

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.



2018 will be better than 2017, Adeboye declares

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye, the General Overseer of Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), has said 2018 is going to be a better year for Nigerians than the outgoing year.

He made the declaration in Osogbo, the capital of Osun, during the Christmas visitation and ‘Let’s Go A Fishng’ programme organised by the church, report says.

Citing the book of John 3:16, the pastor urged everybody to love Jesus Christ who is the solution to the problems facing the world.

Pastor Adeboye said:

‘It is imperative for everybody to love Jesus, who is the solution to myriad of challenges, confronting the world.

Nigerians should be optimistic as the new year will bring favour, better than 2017.

Jesus Christ died for everybody, it is therefore imperative for everybody to love Jesus, who is the solution to myriad of challenges, confronting the world.’

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.



Better days lie ahead, Buhari assures in Christmas message

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari, in his Christmas message to Nigerians, said he was deeply convinced that Nigeria will soon overcome the various challenges that she currently faced as a nation.

The message was relayed to journalists on Saturday, December 23, 2017, in Abuja.

In his message, he described Christmas as a season of peace, joy, healing, hope, and fulfilment.

He urged Nigerians to use the moment to appreciate and pray for the members of the armed forces who are fighting daily to keep the country safe and secure, report says.

The message reads:

‘I am deeply convinced that better days lie ahead for us as a nation as we make progress on all the major fronts where we have set our energies to surmount the challenges. I wish you all Happy Christmas celebrations.

The Holy Book describes Christmas as a festival of peace, joy, healing, hope and fulfilment. It kindles great expectations in the heart, irrespective of the challenges of the moment.

As we celebrate this Yuletide season, let us devote some time to pray and appreciate the sacrifices of members of our armed services to keep our nation safe and secure.

By the same token, and keeping with the spirit of the season, our gallant troops serving in the frontlines in the fight against insurgency; those wounded, lying in the hospital, as well as civilians who have suffered the brunt of evil and wicked elements these past years, deserve our fervent goodwill and sustained prayers.

The personal fortitude of these individuals will continue to inspire us to victory as we turn the tide against the enemy and annihilate those who work against the unity of our nation.’

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.



Zack Orji condemns critics of tithing

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – Zack Orji, a veteran Nollywood actor, in a chat with journalists aired his opinion on tithing, an issue which has generated so much controversy on social media in recent days, report says.

OAP Freeze has been a leading voice in the controversy that has led to reactions from pastors.

Orji said tithing is a personal thing between tithers and their God. He said it is a terrible thing to condemn the men of God. He described those condemning tithing as ignorant.

The actor said he has been ordained as a pastor for five years and is careful about making certain statements.

He told journalists that:

‘I am a pastor, ordained for five years now. The issue of tithing is a personal thing.

I get very careful about making certain statements I have watched some people condemn tithing, say a lot of things about men of God and I pity some of those people because they are speaking out of ignorance.

It is a terrible thing to go on the social media and be condemning men of God and be condemning something that is in the bible.’

Workers salary needs to be reviewed, VP Osinbajo says

THE NEWSGHOST, NIGERIA – Professor Yemi Osinbajo, the Vice President (VP) of Nigeria, has admitted that Nigerian workers are being underpaid.

Osinbajo disclosed this while speaking at the end of the year seminar for the State Press Corps with the title ‘Journalists and Retirement Plan’.

Osinbajo said there is a need to look at public sector earnings. He said it is necessary to understand why workers are poorly paid and determine what is right for them to earn.

He added that all employers must be compelled to adopt the contributory pension scheme, report says.

The vice president said:

‘Generally speaking people are poorly paid, so there is need to look at why people are poorly paid. Public sector earning must be looked at and determined what should be paid and what is right for people to earn.’

Enter your email address in the ‘subscribe box’ to get our latest updates in your mailbox.